Tuesday, October 26, 2010

The Devil Beats His Wife

Today the sun was high in the sky as the rain poured down. A reminder of a vivid memory from my childhood. Watching the rain with the sun still out my grandmother commented that the devil must be beating his wife. When I asked her why she told me that sunshowers were a sure sign the devil is beating his poor young wife. As a young girl, with an overactive imagination, I believed wholeheartedly in this folk tale and my mind sparkled with strange and dark tales. Even today as I watched the rain fall to the earth and the winds shake the towering pine trees I could not help but notice the faint rays of sun peak through the clouds and think, that devil must be beating his wife again.
Floddertje has posted a lovely collection of a few of my photos. In fact the entire blog is full of beautiful and unique imagery. You can see them here.

20 comments:

Lightning Heart said...

lovely images :)

Harlow Darling said...

Gorgeous!

k said...

oh, that's such a sad tale

paddle to shore said...

These are wonderful, as always. I've never heard this folk story beefore but I'm planning on passing it along next time I see sun-showers.

Sophia Molen said...

Wauw, those are beautiful!

the real mia said...

These photos are so lovely.

c. said...

This is such a lovely blog, i'm going to add you to my follow list :) x

Unknown said...

Wow!I've never heard about it before!
Here in Greece we have a silly poem which says:
"Sun,sun and rain
and the poor are getting married.
Sun,sun and moon
and the donkeys are getting married."
Which is actually more silly in english cause it doesn't rime!
Your blog and photos are adorable!
I'm following!
C:

Kat said...

I forgot to log in with my blogger profile!xD

Gorgeous Clara said...

beautiful!

Anonymous said...

these photos are lovely :)

liisu said...

I like these photos a lot :)

ashley moe said...

yes yes yes, I only recently started bookmaking at the beginning of this year, and have fallen in love with it. I have made paper! I like that as well, although the paper making studio at my school is cold and dark and of course, wet. I'd love to see some of your books! I bet they're just lovely.

Liva said...

Cool blog. :) Do you want to follow each other on bloglovin?

Erin said...

your photos are beautiful :-)

Erica said...

Thank you everyone!

Kim and Kat: I agree that its a cool folk tale and Kat I love your Greek version of it! its adorable!

Ashely: I'll have to photograph one of my handmade books and post it sometime ;)

Charlotte said...

the pictures are awesome!
http://charlyandthebee.blogspot.com/

Jane said...

love these photos :)

Anonymous said...

oh these photos are wonderful!

Floddertje said...

Thank you!
I'm still following your work from time to time, I really appreciate your pictures.

Have a very nice day!