Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Maiden No More

"She looked upon herself as a figure of Guilt intruding into the haunts of Innocence. But all the while she was making a distinction where there was no difference. Feeling herself in antagonism she was quite in accord. She had been made to break a necessary social law, but no law known to the environment in which she fancied herself such an anomaly."- Tess Of The D'urbervilles, Thomas Hardy. 
I have been reading this novel over the past week and I must say that I am smitten by both Tess and the writing of Hardy.  His works seem to always carry a richly dark and sexual undertone which given the time period is quite radical. I have strangely found a kindred spirit in his writing.  I loved his Jude in Jude the Obscure for his tragedy and I love him more for Tess because of his fearlessness ,femininity, and vagrant sexuality entwined closely to the destruction of the traditional due to modernity. But it may be that I'm just a romantic in the literary sense.
I'm working every day this week and although I'm grateful for the distraction, I fear I will be exhausted from the mediocrity- standard mall retail jobs are a necessary evil. I did manage however to snap a few photos the other morning before work. And with my birthday coming up this Saturday I have so much to look forward to. November 6th is such a nice day to be born!

16 comments:

Barbara said...

i love the first one so much

k said...

beautiful writing, and such interesting pics..xx

Rebecca said...

i've been meaning to read tess for such a stupidly long time. hopefully i'll get the chance soon (: enjoy your birthday! and, of course, eat lots of cake ;)

http://itscohen.blogspot.com/

paddle to shore said...

I hope this week flies by. The second picture is my favorite, very creative!

Erica said...

Thank you all so much! your words are always so encouraging. I must sound repetitive but they really do mean the most!

Rebecca: Read it! Its such a fascinating book, I'm complete addicted to it. I've even been sneaking in a page or two at work :) And yes, I will eat lots of cake (strawberry is my favorite!)

alison said...

hello! i just found your blog. it's awfully nice. my birthday is the day before yours!

Kate said...

Lovely snaps - the colours in the first one are neat. Not many sleeps til your birthday now! Birthdays are the best!
xx

michelle ma belle said...

Scorpios are always very nice people :)

"I fear I will be exhausted from the mediocrity" I have mutual feelings.

Nice pictures, your bed is beautiful. And they also show that you are bout to break something inside yourself.

This looks like a very interesting book, I'm putting it on my list!

Jess said...

Your blog & photography are absolutely stunning. Thomas Hardy has been on my list of 'things I should read' for so long. Maybe it's about time I started...

Ailera said...

love the second one, and dress in the first one. :}

Natalie Suarez said...

beautiful photos! love it :)

natalieoffduty.blogspot.com

Ana Larruy said...

Nice blog, amazing pics!
take care,
www.anasstyle.blogspot.com

Jazzy E (Hivenn) said...

so beautiful
x enter my giveaway? six whole miss patina dresses to giveaway.

Tina Sosna said...

The first one is wow :)!

Anonymous said...

these photos are amazing..

http://prairiemyheart.blogspot.com

Emily, Ruby Slipper Journeys said...

I really enjoy Thomas Hardy too, although I haven't read Tess. I loved Far from the Madding Crowd and also enjoy The Mayor of Casterbridge.

You have a simply lovely blog. Very atmospheric.xx