Thursday, November 25, 2010

Cedars

The leaves on the cedar trees by the lake have made their descent, creating a strange contrast considering the autumn heat. I took a slew of photographs exploring the grounds but these are all I have for today.
Recently, I've become frustrated with my lack of subject matter. Using myself as a model just feels vain and superficial, and I promise you that this is not the case. Its best, I guess, if I viewed this issue as a conundrum worth overcoming but its been difficult. I would love to scout models or use friends but I tend to totally separate these two aspects of my life from each other. I'm also just to shy and timid to have the courage to ask someone I found interesting if I could photograph them. So I guess I need to work on overcoming that.  That being said, I do find photographing myself to be somewhat rewording, in just the fact that I have complete control of all expression and emotion I wish to emit out of the image.

My boy sent this to me in a text the other day and it seems to describe perfecting the way i feel today. It just makes me miss him all the more,
"Blue skies pull us into their oblivion. The clouds sit in quiet disposition keeping our feet amongst the ground and giving us something to do."

12 comments:

c. said...

Don't feel vain photographing yourself, as this is your blog, it's your thoughts, imaginations, and photos. This blog is you. That being said, i completely understand the feeling.

Barbara said...

i totally agree, your blog is you, so it's ok you take photographs of yourself because they actually turn out really pretty. overcoming the fact you are uncapable to ask others would be great too but i don't think you should feel ashamed of being the subject of your pics
have a lovely day
XOX

maja said...

i also find it hard photographing my friends, or people in general... if you like to photograph youreself - just do it! have you seen this blog? :
http://blog.annettepehrsson.se/
she is posting gorgeous pictures of herself and her boyfriend all the time.

shelbyisms said...

I'm in agreement with the other responses. Don't feel vain, at all!

Abigail Oliveros said...

what wonderful pictures

Erica said...

C: thank you for reminding me of that! Yes, its my blog and in the end its a place of inspiration for me and who ever finds it interesting. :)

Barbara: Thank you! It is very hard to get over my timid nature but I think I will give it a try. Your words are always so wise, they mean a lot to me. :)

Shelbyisms: thank you! I guess the feeling of vanity just comes with the territory and its something I just need to get over.

Maja: I love Annette's work! She has such talent and is just stunningly beautiful! I would never compare my work to her caliber but she is wonderful inspiration isn't she? :)

Abigail: Thank you so much! I really appreciate hearing that.

paddle to shore said...

hun, these are incredible. You are very talented, especially with those self portraits. I'm always excited to visit your blog and see your pictures. You always tell such lovely stories

Some Korean Website Highjacker said...

i'm beyond stoked to find your blog! what an amazing photographer you are and i so love your composition and saturation. everything here is blowing my mind goodness wise. ♥

pea ess: your boyf sent you that...um, he's so poetic, i can see why you two are together with the way you form thoughts and feelings into matter this way. incredibly lovely!

Teresa said...

Hello, sweetie.

You shouldn't feel bad about it really. I have this friend who lives in an isolated farm so, yeah, he takes self-portraits because he really is the only model he has. They are beautiful self portraits. You would never think he is vain. I think that image is easier to get when you are posing and full of make-up and all that, and that isn't your case. :)

Anyways, I stopped taking face portraits of myself a while ago, but I feel just like you, when I do take them, I love it that I can create the exact emotion I want - I guess that's why people say I'm my own best model. You're probably your best model too. :) Cherish that.

Big hug. :)

Kate said...

These photos are wonderful!
xx

Balaphoto said...

Excellent shots!!! Congratulations!!!

Frank, Barcelona

http://balapertotarreu.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Your man is a poet and you are a painter.

(: