Sunday, March 21, 2010

Eyes filled up with blue.

How lovely it is to be home. Arriving yesterday in the late afternoon, my boyfriend and I were greeted with a nice bowl of homemade etouffee; one of my favorite Cajun dishes, it was the perfect welcome home dinner.
Being home always allows for a new perspective. My visits are becoming more and more sparse and the place is beginning to feel alien and unfamiliar. This alarms me but at the same time I can always find clarity and familiarity.
It is very hard for me to put this into words but I love the history and age of Mississippi. Everything is dilapidated and worn out, with this incredible weight balancing on its shoulders. Life is precious but always beautiful and vivid. I  appreciate this frailty and see it more now that I no longer spend my time here.  While I was driving to my grandmother's house today I was struck with how beautiful the landscape was- the dreary marshland and old pine trees. I brought my camera, I hope I can express these feeling I have for this place clearly. 

I love the HBO series True Blood, I wish I could watch it more but I don't have a television. Despite the fact that the southern accents are at times over done and a little silly (as a self respecting southern I have to point that out, sorry) I think the show is awesome and very well done. I especially love the introduction of the show. The imagery instantly reminds me of home and the song by Jace Everett is wonderfully emotive. Here y'all go:


3 comments:

starcakeastrology.blogspot.com said...

wow! i have never seen that show but this video makes me want to watch! I have relatives in Gulfport if you know where that is. I live far away from that part of the world now and I miss it a lot, especially the food!

Robyn said...

That song gets stuck in my head for hours!

Erica said...

It is very catchy. :)