Friday, February 11, 2011

Sergei Mikhailovich Prokudin-Gorskii


Hard to believe this photographic survey of 20th century Russia was taken nearly a hundred years ago. The photographer, Sergei Mikhailovich Prokudin-Gorskii (1863-1944), used a three step color filter process to capture three different black and white negatives (using blue, red, and green filters). He then combined them to give color and density of tone in the negative allowing accurate and beautiful shade. I'm honestly not sure if I have ever seen such naturalistic and clarifying color.

To be honest, I have a bit of a love affair with Russia. It started quite some time ago and after I became enamored with the philosophies of Russian literature I was instantly smitten. After reading Anna Karenina my interest was thoroughly peaked and I toyed with the idea of picking up Dr. Zhivago. The decision was made for me however, when my boy gave me a vintage jewelry box that played "Lara's Theme", from the 1965 film for my birthday. I hadn't told him of my interest in the book so I appreciated him even more because he knew me so well. :) Soon I had the 1965 film adaptation and a first edition copy of the novel on my doorstep, a surprise from my sweet boy who knew just how to shower me with affection (and books).  I'm still debating what my next soiree into Russian Literature might be but Alexander Pushkin's Eugene Onegin seems like a good candidate. I think the internal dialogue and philosophic intimacy, prominent in eastern European literature, appeal to my introvert nature.

p.s. This is currently on repeat at all hours of my day in my itunes- its perfect company. And with that holiday coming up next week I'm sure to be in a pessimistic mood, reminded that my boy is some thousand miles away. :(

12 comments:

brigduong said...

Ahh I'm learning about Russian history at school right now. Lovely post :)

Joanna said...

Wow! This man had some amazing talent. I cannot believe how clear and crisp the quality is, along with such gorgeous tones of colour... It's especially amazing that he did all this before 1944, before colour was readily introduced into photographs. Just wow! I also have a passion for all things Russian. The love grew after studying Russian history last year. So much incredibly history lies within that country. xxxxx

Joanna Paterek said...

I love it! I know that's sounds silly but I really love these pics!!!

AVY said...

Very cool pictures.



Avy/
http://mymotherfuckedmickjagger.blogspot.com/

michelle ma belle said...

Whar a beautiful post about russia, I also love russian philosophers, it's so interesting that you can get so inspired by someone lived such a long time ago, thank you I'm also in love with his pictures now :)

I used to be always far away from my boy in days like today, but remember that you love each other.

Megan said...

Wow, these photos are amazing and even more impressive that they were taken before modern color photography technology existed! Have you read Travels in Siberia by Ian Frazier? I just finished it and the author also describes himself as being in love with Russia. I thought it was really interesting and it made me want to go there someday.

k said...

those pictures are so amazing! i'm interested in the method he used, i've never heard of it..i like!

paddle to shore said...

These are incredible hun!

Erica said...

brigduong: I really adore it! There's so much to learn actually. :)

Joanna: isn't it amazing!? It really transforms how you see history. As if in an entirely new light.

Jeanne Kiur: You don't sound silly at all. I'm glad you feel the same as I do actually :)

Avy: I'm glad I can show other people these wonderful images. :)

Michelle: thank you for your kind words. It is difficult but there is a silver lining and that is that I have him and he is all mine. Silly, but it does help.

Megan:Thank you for the recommendation! I'll definitely look into his writings. Siberia is so vast and empty and beautiful.

Krystal: I know, I feel the same way. :) It must be very difficult. He had to take the exact same image at least three times in order to create a true color.

Kimberly: Thank you, i'm so happy you liked them! <3

Magda said...

I love the castle, it looks like something from a fairytale.

Chelsea said...

I forget where I saw these previously, but these are so incredible! I saw that you're following my twitter & I have to say, your blog is stunning! :)

Floddertje said...

How funny, I'm going to st petersburg in less than a month! You should definitively read Tchekov if you like russian literature.